November 12, 2012

on blogging & why people care


this blog post has been writing itself in my head for well, probably a couple of years now...at least in the last year for sure as i've gotten more & more into blogging & what it's all about & as my number of followers somehow seems to increase. if you're a blogger, do you ever ask yourself "why do people care?" and if you're a blog reader, let me ask you "why do you care?" those questions may come off strangely, but i genuinely want to know...why do you care?

i remember my dad saying the same thing to me [& not in a rude way but more or less in a 'non blogging generation' way as he just doesn't really get blogging] and primarily he doesn't get why people care...why 670 people are following my blog and why they care about what i have to say and to be honest, i often ask myself the same question. i started this blog as a way to gather my thoughts but also because i had just moved somewhere new and i wanted to collect my new experiences in one place and have an outlet to do so...plus 'blogging' has always been in my blood i guess as i also had a livejournal account when i was younger [oh what i wouldn't give to go back and read that now] 

but...i'm not an overly exciting person, i don't take really awesome photos, i don't have fascinating outfits or a cool etsy shop to promote, i don't really write anything too riveting, i don't have a really cute kid that you want to see photos of, i don't make crafts or do any interesting DIYs [this is a list based on the blogs i tend to follow] i really am just a normal girl. i go to work, i hang out with friends but most of the time you can find me at home with my boyfriend watching netflix or reading a book, and that's all. for some odd reason 670 people care about that. it's crazy isn't it?! some days i forget that people even read this and then i get some comments here and there or someone mentions my blog [heaven forbid!] IRL [in real life] and i remember, oh ya...people do read this and for some reason people care to read about my little, ordinary life. it's bizarre. the blogging world really is bizarre when you boil it down. to people who don't blog or read blogs, they don't get what it's all about and that's okay because as i've said, most of the time i don't either. so i guess what it boils down to is why do i blog...

i blog to document my life
i blog because it's faster than keeping a journal
i blog because i think it will be really neat to look back on some day
i blog because i like the sense of community
i blog because i enjoy 'meeting' people from all over the world
i blog because i [for whatever reason] care about these bloggers that i 'follow' and read on a regular basis 
i blog because it's a fun hobby
& i guess the main reason i blog is because i enjoy it
if i didn't enjoy it anymore, or if i one day out grow it, i'll stop...but for now, i'll continue to blog. i'll continue to enjoy this awesome little community that we have and share and i'll continue to keep caring about the blogs that i religiously follow because for some reason, this is how i want to spend my time.

so...why do you blog?
and if you're a reader, why do you care?
[again, i mean this is in the most honest & loving way and i hope it doesn't come off as rude, i just genuinely want to know!] i guess a better question would be, why do you read my blog?

13 comments:

  1. I've always kept a journal since I was 5 years old. When I got a little older, I had a Livejournal and I made all of my friends get them, too! I was a longtime reader of blogs, but didn't start my own until recently because I wanted to have some kind of direction and not like my LJ days with entries like "Ugh people suck, I hate my lyfe"

    I like your blog because it's not like some other blogs where everything is pretty, photoshopped, and perfect. You seem like a real, down to earth girl and we have common interests. Most people I hang out with like close to nothing that I like, so it's refreshing to read from people that share my interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I just started up a blog again (this time with the intent of sticking at it) and I've asked myself the same question. I think a lot of it for me is about wanting to find my voice, and that sometimes feels hard to do in a real life setting where everyone already knows you. I also think I really admire the blogging community. I think I'm one of the few people who still stick around LJ, but it's just not the same as it used to be. A lot of amazing people moved on to blogging instead!

    In terms of why I read, I just really enjoy learning about other people's lives. We only really get to experience our own life firsthand (obviously) and we can't do/be/experience everything. Reading blogs lets you learn about things you'd never do otherwise! Plus, I think it helps make up for the fact that letter writing is now a lost art for most people.

    Thessaly
    http://lazarusbell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is such a heart felt post, and honest too! I'm not really sure why I read blogs, or when exactly it was I decided to start caring about them. I read blogs because even in the mundane there is something fresh and different about each person's perspective. I read them to remind myself I'm not alone, to push myself, to grow my knowledge, to connect. I read blogs because I need to know that somewhere out there in the world there are others who share something in common with me. I read blogs because social media can seem so cold and impersonal, and for whatever reason blogging isn't like that.

    I read your blog because you're genuine, you have great style, you're friendly, and you care about this little blogging community. You are part of the glue that makes blogging so sticky. Blogging catches you, and holds onto you, and is a comfort. You're life is inspirational because you don't apologize for it, or wallow, or pretend it's bigger than it is. You are strong, confident, and fun. Why wouldn't I read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's honestly such a good question - one I've been seriously debating with myself for a while. It's such a strange concept when you get down to it - following peoples' lives online? Total strangers? No wonder non-blogging generations don't always understand it!

    I think it all boils down to the feeling of 'connection' we make with each other. I've found myself really uninterested in reading the blogs that form no connection with readers - ones that are purely giveaways and promotions. To me that's not connecting on a personal level at all. I prefer to read something I can respond to in the comments and thus communicate back and forth with the person, as opposed to just trying to win things or buy things.

    My blog's become a lot about my Solé business lately and I feel like such a boring blogger! I just don't have much time to do anything else that would be interesting on my blog (unless everyone wants to hear me ramble about MY full-day Prison Break marathon or my adventures in grocery shopping). Maybe they do. But I don't feel overly inspired to write about it haha.

    I think it's a really interesting question, and I like your reasons for blogging! Simple and straightforward.

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!! I often have the same thoughts!
    I personally love your blog for it's originality, and because you seem like a genuine nice, sweet, interesting and fun person. You and your friends seem like you have a blast & I love your personal style so much (duh! I shop your closet!!)
    Keep doing what you are doing Carly, you are awesome!
    :) Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a blogger, I blog as a way of sharing everything I love, am interested in and believe in. Whether it's as simple as a few of my favorite products every week, as unique as my Vampirism finds, or as close to my heart as LGBTQ issues. Not only do I love sharing, but I love documenting my own little life and getting to know others - some of my closest friends have become friends because of blogging.

    As for why I read a blog, I read them because they "click" with me. Whether that's a like-minded lady with a lifestyle like my own, someone with fashion that I adore, someone with crazy amounts of inspiration and so on. That is how I've also made friends, and I love having a view into other people's lives, it's fascinating.

    As for why I follow you? You're gorgeous, with a fun eye for fashion and you put together wonderful outfits; you post finds that I find fascinating, like jewelry and home decor; your pictures are awesome as well and I love when you document parts of your life, like where you've been or what you're loving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog to tell the story of how my best friend and I fell in love, to share my life with family and friends, to meet new people in my area that share my same interests, to document my life so I can surprise my kids in years and years from now so they can see what their mom and dad was like when they were first married, I blog just because I enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got really into reading blogs in the past few months, including yours. For me, the draw is very similar to why I like reading books - it's just fun to hear other people's stories and to vicariously have new experiences. A person can make a lot more friends and acquaintances than they would ever be able to solely offline.
    I also agree that one of the attractive things about your blog is that you are just having fun with it and not getting obsessive about making everything "pretty." You're a real and relatable young woman, and it brings us back. Thanks for sharing your life with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have been blogging since the days of Livejournal (eek, I actually have read my old Livejournal posts from my teenage years. All I felt was overwhelming embarassment). For me, I also think it's something that I just "do". I've always written, be it in a personal private diary, or on a blog, and to not do it seems... bizarre to me. That being said, my current blog is different to the kind of blogs I used to write, and I think a lot of that is down to wanting to connect and share things with people who have similar interests.

    I read other people's blogs to connect, purely and simply. There are many blogs I follow which post outfit posts, DIY's and what-not constantly, but I find the blogs that I really enjoy have posts such as this one. It's more personal, it gives you more of a connection, and I think that's one of the more beautiful things about the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great questions, I have been asking myself things like this recently as well, especially when I don't have time to put together a quality post...
    The reasons I blog have a lot to do with wanting to get my business out there, and for the very first time I found out 'blogging' was a thing, and was inspired by all the people out there who were posting their outfits for people to see....I wanted to join in.

    I read blogs that inspire me. I love seeing DIY's and outfit posts, photography, etc. To be honest, it's not the personal life of the person I am interested in, it's their outfit or the project they made that I can now make too, or I'm so into they're creative style that I want to buy something from their Etsy shop. That is probably also why my blog is not too personal, I find I mostly pay attention to the pictures on a blog, so I strive to make sure to post quality photos that are obvious about what I'm sharing.

    I like to read blogs of the people who read mine, I feel happy that people read my blog, so I want to share the love as well :) I also enjoy your outfit posts, you've got great style! Most importantly, I think you have to blog about what you love, or you will start to hate it. Once it becomes something you're not then it's time to take a good look at what you're actually trying to achieve.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think for me it's a sense of a community with those who share the same interests with me. I follow a lot of crafty blogs, and I don't have a whole lot of friends that are into that sorta thing. I also follow a lot of fashion blog for inspirtion but it funny how you kinda become invested in a blogger/their life/blabberings and find it interesting after following them for a while then it really kind of becomes a community or even in some cases a blogging family.

    ReplyDelete